Friends of Solomone Taufeulungaki have called for no retaliation after the 15-year-old was stabbed to death in a brawl outside a Melbourne shopping centre.

Victoria police said the Deer Park boy was approached by a group of about eight to 10 men on Tuesday afternoon at Brimbank Shopping Centre in Deer Park and died at the scene.

Six people from that group were arrested nearby, but Victoria Police said the others ran away.

Victoria Police confirmed on Wednesday afternoon that six teenagers – aged between 13 and 16 – had been charged with violent disorder and affray.

All six were due to appear in the Children’s Court on Wednesday afternoon.

Solomone was one of 12 siblings, with his family describing him as a “kind, selfless and humble soul”.

“He had an incomparable sense of humour and was often referred to as a big teddy bear. He always put others before himself and his presence always warmed up a room,” the Taufeulungaki family wrote on GoFundMe. 

On Wednesday morning, Solomone’s friends and family took to social media to pay tribute to the teenager.

“I would do anything for you to annoy me again. I want you to call me right now and tell me your maths homework is due in an hour,” one friend wrote on Facebook.

“Retaliation is not a must. Solomone Taufeulungaki, you were a blessing and I am so glad to have met you.”

The 15-year-old was a student at Victoria University Secondary College, where police guarded the perimeter on Wednesday morning as students returned to class.

Relatives took to social media to post photographs of Solomone, often surrounded by his family.

“Rest in love Toko,” Mape Taufeulungaki wrote on Instagram. “Actually speechless… all I know is that I will see you again.”

“Word’s can’t express how saddened we are to hear of your loss,” his aunt wrote.

Solomone Taufeulungaki posing with a police officer.

Solomone Taufeulungaki posing with a police officer.

Facebook / Christina Faiva

“He’s a good kid, he goes to church. He comes from a good family, a humble family,” family friend Foa Galuega said.

“It’s just so unfortunate this has happened to him.”

Hours after the boy’s death, a fight broke out at the taped-off crime scene between about 30 people.

Police arrested three teenage boys over the second fight, and all three have since been released.